Sunday 30 October 2011

Darren's Bali Birthday!!

Darren's birthday began with a surprise at breakfast.  All of the restaurant staff brought out a cake with a lighted candle on it, gatherered round Darren and sang Happy Birthday! 




Next was Darren's birthday present from me......a surf lesson!  We had a private two hour lesson for the two of us with Felix, a local instructor at the Up2U Surf Club.  I was kind of expecting a lot of theory first, learning board basics and ocean safety, but it was pretty much straight out into the waves....which were huge (over 2m high)!

Before getting up on the boards, we had to establish our surf style!  Darren was regular (left foot forward), but of course I had to be different with a 'goofy foot' surfing stance (right foot forward).

I think the photos show how much we loved it.....despite a few wipe outs.....
























The next morning I felt like I'd been run over!!!  I can't believe how tough surfing is on your arms and ribs!  But Darren had booked himself in for another lesson, so at high tide he was off again.....


Felix shares some tips!
















While Darren was surfing, I got a manicure!!!
In the evening we got a cab to Seminyak for a meal at a beautiful candlelit restaurant on the beachfront - La Lucciola....



And the following night we went to another great beachfront restaurant in Seminyak - Ku De Ta....


Too soon it was time to pack up our cottage and say goodbye to bonkers Bali!!!



Bali in reality is not the paradise Bali that I had in my mind before we went. There are definitely two sides to Bali - the busy, dirty streets versus the luxury hotel and posh restaurants!  After our trip to Kuta on our first full day I was a little worried about what lay ahead, but it was such a fun holiday that we would definitely go back, but maybe stay in Seminyak!

No comments:

Post a Comment